Friday, 13 February 2009

January Poll Result

I'm not a big fan of polls (except Copernicus) but I'm going to try to run one every month or so because...I can. It can be my lunar poll.

Here's the result of January's poll.

When asked how many visitors readers thought my blog would attract this year, an overwhelming number of fans voted. In fact, votes flooded in in their ones. The results reflect the diversity of my readership, with votes ranging all the way from predictions of 300 visitors to over 10,000. So here are the official results:

Under 300 - 0 (0%)
300-5000 - 5 (41%)
5001-10,000 - 5 (41%)
Over 10,000 - 2 (16%)

Now, the mathematically-gifted among you may notice a slight problem with Blogger's adding skills. When I was at school, a teacher once told me that a percentage should add up to 100. Per cent meaning "out of every hundred". She also told me adding 41, 41 and 16 would probably give the answer 98. I've now discovered that 98 - as close as it is to 100 - isn't 100. So we'll call 41% 42% and let that be the end of it.

Most of my dozen think I'll get between 300 and 10,000 readers by 31st December this year. I think I'd agree; it seems a nice middle-ground. Nobody thinks I'll get fewer than 300 readers - probably a wise choice, considering when the poll launched I had about 310.

Two brave souls put their reputations on the line, necks out, even chanced their arms - not all at once - and opted for over 10,000 visitors. In a way I wouldn't be surprised if that happened - the web being a strange, word-of-mouth, organic, flowering monster. In another way, with nearly 700 visitors (we're talking first-time plus return) in two and a half months, about 3,000 seems more realistic.

But of course if you tell your friends, and they tell their friends, and they tell their pets and their pets tell other animals, and animals learn to communicate with humans, we'll have a HUGE news story to write about. But if people promote my blog, I may get 10,000 readers by the end of the year.

Don't forget the new poll!

No comments: