Thursday, 11 June 2009

Win the moon!

This competition is one you must enter. It's one I must win, but one I'm allowing other people to enter. Nearly 40 years from the month Neil and Buzz first put human foot on the Moon, New Scientist is offering a "scrap of genuine moon rock" to the person who can do the following.

You will doubtless know the words relayed from Neil Armstrong when he stepped off Apollo 11's lunar module and onto the moon itself: "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Can you think of something better for him to have said - something even more memorable, or perhaps something funnier?

I know. Something funnier than Neil's little quip: not easy. OK, they clearly didn't mean "funnier", as that implies what Neil said was funny. It wasn't. It was profound - and fluffed. Profoundly fluffed. But it could never be confused with "funny".

If he wanted to be funny, he could've said:

"Oi, Buzz, watch this" - before lowering his astropants and mooning to the world

Or...

"One small step for man, one giant leap for a dwarf" - before lowering his astropants and mooning to the world

Or...

"Sh1t, wish I'd brought that fleece"

My work colleague suggested the following:

"Right, everyone, remember where we parked"

I laughed out loud most of the afternoon. Thanks, Al! (I may put that in for you)

So I'm going to enter this competition with something. Let me think what. It should be pithy, well-observed, memorable, as funny as Neil's. Not easy. Perhaps it could be something about Buzz being named "Buzz". Perhaps it could be a bad impression - or better, a bad-taste impression. Like Hitler (he was always doing bad-taste impressions).

This is what I've come up with.

"Big, innit?"

Send the scrap of moon rock this way!

No comments: