Sunday, 15 November 2009

Full Moon vs New Moon

The moon is in the news a lot at the moment. Lots of things are happening with her and to her. There's that whole water-being-found thing (which means we can soon go and use the moon as a dumping ground for stuff while we shoot off for manned missions to Mars, says a slightly-paraphrased Nasa). There's that film, New Moon, with the tall British fella. And there's that young chap walking around Britain by the light of the full moon. I think we've heard enough recently about the first and last, so let's try New Moon.

I haven't read the Twilight series of books by Stephenie Meyer. So I'm going to write a short review of the books/films from what I've gleaned by walking around London and seeing posters.

Twilight is a series of books by Stephenie Meyer (which we established earlier). Each book contains a plot. And each plot appears to concern something to do with night and zombies and horror. New Moon appears to focus quite heavily on the moon - though, oddly, it uses a full moon in its advertising (be difficult to use a new moon, I guess, as we can't see it). Here we should distinguish between my knowledge of the book and my knowledge of the film. The book I haven't read. The film - I haven't seen. But the film, I guess, is out now (as books rarely get this level of press attention.)

So the film... The big British fella with the square jaw is the hero (or nemesis). Something bad happens, at night, possibly around new moon (or full moon). Big British fella leaps into action (or doesn't) and fights the evil (or possibly not evil) things with the help of a couple of (or more) glamorous assistants. I'm imagining Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Harry Potter.

There are four books in the trilogy+1. New Moon is the second. Which means the plot isn't concluded in this film because otherwise the next two, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn (oh yeah, I've done my research), would be rubbish.

And that pretty much sums it up. There might be a bit more to it (or less). If this review has tempted you, please do read the books and let me know how accurate I was.

Oh and here's what I imagine Breaking Dawn will be like, from what I've read in the article which called the last book in the trilogy+1 "Breaking Dawn"...

A girl, called Dawn, is the happiest girl in the world. Every day she's alive, people curse her for being so happy. "There goes Happy Dawn," people curse, every day. Then, one night, another girl comes into town (on full moon). She breaks Dawn.

No comments: