Friday, 1 January 2010

Blue Moon Above London - the final moonwalk of 2009

Snow. Floods. Friends. Astronomers. Eclipse. Goddess. Brother. 42 floors. Police. The Queen. Luna. Clouds. Wharf. Harriot. Isis. Full moon. Wheel. Aches. Fireworks. Time. Reflections. Reflection...

For the first time on this blog, I'm not sure I have the words to summarise a moonwalk. Not this moonwalk. Not the bluemoonwalk.

So here are my favourite photos from a night on the town. London Town. A night spent watching a bright full moon, surrounded by a shivering halo, which followed a day worrying that I'd see no blue moon, I'd have no stories to tell, and my year would end with a cloudy whimper.

In the next couple of days, I'll tell more. I'll explain what happened when I strolled through the grounds of Syon House Gardens. Without permission. I'll tell you about my brother's moon-hunt 42 storeys above London. I'll tell you how the police helped me watch a partial lunar eclipse above the Thames. And I'll reveal what I've learned in this fantastic year of living a lunar life.

Until then...


Syon House, Richmond - where Thomas Harriot became the first man to sketch the moon using a telescope in 1609


The Meridian Laser across London


Blue moon over Greenwich


Lunatic under blue moon eclipse


Eclipse above the Thames


Luna looks on


Big Ben, little blue moon

No comments: